Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday with Matt: geometric prints

I recently visited my grandma and came home with a bunch of treasures. My favorite among them, by leaps and bounds, is an oilcloth tote bag made from this fabric...


She had been using the bag to hold paper recycling and it was in perfect condition. I did a little research, and the print is called Bauhaus and was designed by sisters, Susan Collier and Sarah Cambell, for Liberty of London in 1972. I love the exuberance of the pattern, for a geometric print it has such an organic feel. I've done some research, and there are odd scarves, ties and pillows to be found on ebay. What I wouldn't give to have enough of this oilcloth to cover my kitchen table.
The print reminds me of this curtain for a theatre...


... which I saw a year or two ago at the Guggenheim in New York. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for his home in Wisconsin, the curtain depicts a pared down landscape view. Out of all the beautiful models, photos and blueprints, this curtain is the one thing that stuck in my memory after the exhibit.
Hope everybody had a lovely weekend has a great week.
X - Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment